Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

First Mission: Identify the target

I got an email from Steve Kamb, rebel leader of Nerd Fitness, yesterday. He asked me why I signed up and what I'm struggling with. So here's my story: I was recently told that I have to get my heart in shape or, get this, I'm going to drop dead. No lie, that was the long and short of it, and the folks telling me this didn't mean that running a marathon would kill me, but that something really unsophisticated like picking up groceries or my toddler would cause so much strain on my weakened heart that it would either explode or quit. I'm crap at exercise. At 43, I've never had to exercise in my life (I was an elf until my recent pregnancy), and frankly I didn't want to. I walked a lot in my college years (not having a car and living off campus in a public-transit-free zone will do that), but I never exercised. Period. My recent pregnancy wasn't my first (or even my second), but it was much later in life than the others and I gained more weight more quickly than ever. Even now, over a year and a half after she was born, I'm carrying as much weight as when I delivered my first child (I so wish I was making that up). And my heart just wasn't built to carry that around. So I'm struggling with the idea of getting up at 6 in the morning every Mon Wed & Fri and riding a stationary bike for thirty minutes. Yep, that's *all* I have to do to start. Daily would be better, but this is the minimum, and I'm supposed to give myself a slow start. But it's dark. And cold. And I'm cozy under the covers. Yep, still not working as an excuse. I have signed up at the local (5 minutes from my house) Planet Fitness. I have been on the bikes the past Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday because being a nerd, I can't lay off the quests. I am tracking my mileage to Mount Doom, and celebrating along the way at little milestones.